This ribbon belonged to Marie Adelaide de France, known as Madame Adelaide (1732–1800). She was one of the six daughters of Louis XV and the aunt of Louis XVI. The ribbon was used as a belt by the princess, who later gave it to Lelong, her usher. It was bought by the City of Paris in 2003, together with a letter written by Lelong. There is probably a reference here to the blue, white and red of the Revolutionary cockade presented to Louis XVI at the Hôtel de Ville in Paris on 17 July 1789. The King adopted these colours for the nation.
Notice's author : Pascale Gorguet-Ballesteros